With age, the effects of gravity become more noticeable in our faces, especially as our facial support structure weakens and we lose facial fat. The areas that are generally affected are the eyebrows, areas around the eyes, the cheeks, jowls and neck. The result is a longer, more square-shaped and older-looking face.
Many surgical treatments, such as Face Lifts, are available to reverse these changes. While these procedures are very successful in treating aging of the face, some may be hesitant to proceed with surgery.
Luckily, a Thread Lift is an option to lift and reposition skin and induce collagen production all during an in-office procedure.
What is a thread lift?
A thread lift is a procedure where dissolvable specialized bio-compatible barbed PDO (polydioxanone) threads are used to visibly “lift” the skin. The suture is anchored into the skin by fine barbs. The skin is not removed but a thread lift still has the effect of pulling the skin back slightly into a higher position. In addition, smooth PDO threads can be placed to provoke the body’s healing response and gives your skin a scaffolding to build collagen. This way Thread Lifts are able to combat aging in a two-prong approach.
What is the difference between a thread lift and a face lift?
A face lift tightens facial muscles, removes excess skin and often restores volume with fat grafts.
Face lifts are most often performed in the operating room under anesthesia, but a limited facelift can also be performed in the office under local anaesthesia.
Either procedure does have downtime and recovery. Face lifts can treat a variety of problems and are an appropriate procedure for someone looking for a durable and more pronounced result.
A PDO thread lift repositions the excess skin. The skin is not removed and muscle is not repositioned, making it an ideal procedure for patients in their late thirties to early fifties. PDO thread lifts also provide a facelift alternative for older patients who are unable to have surgery for medical reasons. While thread lifts certainly produce visible changes, they will generally only lift the face by a few millimeters. They create a more subtle result.
Although the results may be more limited with a thread lift, the recovery is much quicker and the cost is lower.
How does MINT PDO thread lift the skin?
There are a number of different types of PDO threads and they each offer a unique benefit to lifting and tightening the skin.
Mono threads are smooth threads, without any barbs. These are placed under the skin, often in a cross hatch positioning, to create a scaffold for your body to build collagen upon. These threads can be used to fill fine wrinkles in the forehead, midface, upper lip, nasolabial folds, neck, and body for a more rejuvenated appearance.
Screw threads are two mono threads that are intertwined around the needle. These are also used to create a scaffold for your body to build collagen upon, but is also used to create volume. These are a great option for tightening and lifting the cheek area.
Barbed threads or Cog threads are lined with barbs that are used to anchor into the skin to lift sagging skin. Collagen production is also to be expected around the threads. The barbed threads can be used to lift sagging jowls, the midface, soften the appearance of nasolabial folds, flattening double chin or neck, and opening the medial and lateral brows.
What are MINT PDO threads made of?
PDO threads are made from a biodegradable material commonly used in the medical field for wound closure. The threads are made from a synthetic polymer known as polydioxanone (PDO). PDO is safe to use on human tissue, does not trigger allergic reactions, and can be safely absorbed by the human body.
Which areas can be treated with MINT PDO threads?
The PDO thread lifting procedure can be applied to anywhere on the face and body such as:
- Upper and lower cheeks
- Brow lift
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines
How long can a MINT PDO thread lift last?
After the procedure, the PDO threads remain in the face for about 4 months until they dissolve naturally. The lifting effects lasts for about 9 months to a year. The collagen and elastin fibers that are formed last up to 18 months. The results vary from person to person.
There are many different PDO thread companies. Why does RevivaMed prefer MINT PDO threads for their patients?
MINT (Minimally Invasive Non Surgical Thread) is a safe & effective absorbable suture made from a biocompatible material called PDO, polydioxanone.
Instead of the normal barbs, MINT uses a heavier gauge, sterile threads that have bi-directional molded barbs, helically positioned and shaped like an arrow, to hook on the skin tissue more effectively, resulting in a longer-lasting, 3-dimensional lift. This design gives MINT PDO threads a stronger lifting power compared to other PDO threads where hooks are created by cutting into their threads, which weakens them. This added strength to MINT PDO threads effectively restores sagging facial skin into a more youthful V-shape and increases duration of results.
Why choose RevivaMed to perform a MINT PDO thread lift?
Although thread lifts usually are very safe procedures, they still should be performed in an appropriate setting and under supervision of an experienced physician.
As RevivaMed offers a full range of facial rejuvenation procedures, including surgical procedures such as face lifts, we can advise you on the most appropriate treatment.
What happens during MINT PDO treatment?
One of the most important parts of a PDO treatment is the evaluation during which your skin elasticity, amount of volume loss, and your goals are discussed. It is important to determine the precise “vector” in which you achieve optimal correction.
After photos are taken, topical anesthetic and/or local anesthetic is applied to the treatment area. The PDO threads are inserted into the treatment area using a micro-needle or blunt cannula. You will likely notice that your face feels numb afterwards and your mouth may be asymmetrical for a couple hours, much like after you have dental injections.
Depending on the areas being treated and the amount of threads being inserted, the treatment takes about 30 to 60 minutes.
A PDO thread lift recovery is fairly simple but there are a few precautions that you will want to take to maximize your results. Please avoid rubbing your face vigorously for at least a week (no facials), avoid taking large bites of food or making overly exaggerated facial expressions, and prop your head to avoid sleeping on your side.
You will be able to fully return to your everyday routine and social activities within a couple of days. Each treatment is tailor made to your individual needs and can be combined with dermal fillers and Botox to maximize the results.
When will I see results?
Immediately for the PDO thread lift! Collagen growth from smooth and barbed threads will continue to improve over the next 2-6 months, increasing the lift and tightening of the skin. The PDO threads gradually dissolve between 4-6 months, but the lift continues for another 6 months to a year. Repeat thread insertions have a cumulative effect on collagen growth within your skin.
What are the side effects of a MINT PDO Thread Lift?
Edema (swelling), Bruising, Infection, Foreign body reaction/granuloma, Needle hematoma, Pain: Protrusion, Migration, Facial nerve trauma. Asymmetry.
Pre-Instructions for PDO treatments
- Patients are recommended to arrive 5-10 minutes prior to their appointment to complete new procedure documentation and to discuss the treatment with their provider.
- Patients are recommended to arrive at their appointment with no makeup. Any make up will be removed prior to treatment.
- Patients taking blood thinning medication (e.g. Aspirin) should consult with their physician if they can stop for 3 days prior to their treatment.
- Blood thinning medications increase the possibility of bruising. Consult your physician prior to stopping any medication.
- Patients should avoid alcohol prior to treatment.
PDO Post-care Instructions
- Avoid tanning machines and direct sunlight, and apply SPF 30+ sunblock when going outside
- You may gently wash your treated area starting from the same day as your procedure, but avoid rubbing or massaging the face for at least two weeks
- Avoid opening your mouth too wide for up to 4 weeks, and reschedule any dental appointments for at least two weeks after your treatment
- Stinging or pulling pain and discomfort are normal, and can be alleviated with over-the-counter Tylenol 500 mg (1-2 tablets every six hours as directed). NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen should be avoided.
- Avoid alcohol and anticoagulant medicines (aspirin, unless prescribed for medical indications) for 7 days. Avoid anticoagulant medications like aspirin (unless prescribed otherwise) and alcohol for a week, as well as blood thinning vitamins such as A, C and E
- Avoid high and low temperature extremes for at least 10 days
- Take a break from strenuous exercise for at least a week
- Avoid RF or heat-producing devices like cosmetic laser treatments for at least 4 months.
- Patients must finish the course of antibiotics if prescribed as part of the treatment protocol. If prescribed antibiotics, finish them all
- Stinging and pulling pain, as well as the scratchy sensation you experience after your procedure, will begin to subside be week 2 and disappear by week 5
- Follow up examination 7 days later. You will have a follow-up examination a week after your treatment
There are numerous tools that have a specific purpose in our anti-aging arsenal and PDO thread lifts definitely deliver results. When combined with dermal fillers and neuroparalytics, we are able to achieve a lasting and natural result. Please call RevivaMed at (619) 232-3040 to schedule your customized treatment plan.