You may have heard about celebrities undergoing a “Vampire Facelift”, but this treatment is more approachable than you would think. PRP or platelet rich plasma injections have been around for decades. It has been helping athletes to heal from joint, tendon, and ligament injuries and is now being applied to beauty treatments. This non-surgical, age-defying wrinkle treatment pushes PRP, derived from your own blood, into your skin to stimulate collagen production, to deliver fresh, healthy, younger skin.
- Used to improve skin tone, texture, soften lines, tighten skin, and add mild volume
- Results begin to show 2-4 weeks after treatment and continue to improve with time.
- Uses your own natural resources so there is no risk of allergic reaction.
- It uses concentrated a formula of your own platelets and growth factors to increases collagen production.
- Ideal for those who prefer a natural treatment.
- Can be used to treat multiple body areas.
- Benefits both men and women.
- Results continue to improve for 9 months following treatment.
- With repeat treatments, skin improvement results add up.
- Very little downtime. Skin may feel slightly tender to the touch for a day or two.
To understand how microneedling with PRP works, it is important to first understand how each procedure works on its own. Microneedling is a treatment performed in-office to help treat various skin conditions, including fine lines, scarring, and hyperpigmentations, by triggering your body to create more collagen. Small injuries, almost like pinholes, are made in the skin with the microneedling tool to the outer layer of the skin. Superficial microneedling can be performed by estheticians, but deeper microneedling can only be performed by licensed medical professionals. This is the method that stimulates your body’s natural healing process, causing you to produce more collagen. Collagen is the “secret” to aiding in the reduction of skin impurities. It is an essential part of your skin’s structure and supports the production of other age-defying essentials, such as hyaluronic acid and elastin. Hyaluronic acid helps your skin to retain moisture and elastin keeps your skin firm.
PRP, platelet-rich plasma, is used for many different regenerative purposes, such as regenerating muscles, skin tissue, and nerves. Recently, it has been utilized to give patient’s renewed and radiant complexions. PRP works by submerging cells in a plasma with a concentrated blend of platelets that are taken from your own blood. The mixture of platelets is specially created by drawing blood from the patient and then having it go through a machine known as a centrifuge. This machine separates the blood by layers so the platelets can be easily removed. The plasma is then applied topically to increase healing time and rejuvenate the skin.
Microneedling with PRP uses both of these skin revitalizing techniques to help give you the complexion that you desire. After the microneedling slightly injuries the skin, the PRP helps to increase the speed of the healing process as your body naturally produces more collagen and elastin.
The treatment takes about an hour and a half and performed in a relaxing environment. The following is the expected steps for the PRP and microneedling procedure:
- Cleansing of the treated area
- Application of the numbing cream to prepare you for the treatment
- Drawing of a vial of your own blood, then separating the PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) through the centrifuge tube
- The separated PRP is then applied as a serum during the microneedling process
- After the treatment, a calming mask is applied for 10-15 minutes
Following the microneedling with PRP treatment, we recommend applying Hyaluronic Acid serum at home for post-treatment application. You will apply the serum topically to soothe the skin during the recovery process.
A topical numbing cream is applied before the microneedling treatment to minimize discomfort. Patients describe the sensation anywhere from a cat licking their skin to sharp discomfort (usually around the upper lip).
No, PRP is plasma with a concentrated blend of platelets that are taken from your own blood. The mixture of platelets is specially created by drawing blood from the patient and then having it go through a machine known as a centrifuge. This machine separates the blood by layers so the platelets can be easily removed. The plasma is then applied topically to increase healing time and rejuvenate the skin. Microneedling creates channels for the PRP to permeate your skin.
We ask that you keep the PRP onto your face for as close to 24 hours as possible to allow for maximum penetration of the skin. We may suggest applying a mask in the evening of the treatment to reactive the PRP.
Avoid applying makeup to your face for 48 hours following your treatment. You want to wait until the channels in the skin, created by the microneedling have completely closed.
A sunburn-like effect is normal following PRP with Microneedling. Your skin will likely feel tight, dry, or sensitive to the touch. Treat your skin very gently by washing with a gentle cleanser, cool water, using your hands only, and pat dry. Redness or sensitivity might be present. Swelling can last 2-4 days, depending on how aggressive of a treatment you received. You may notice some slight peeling after 3-5 days. Please do not pick, scratch, or scrub at treated skin. Some small bruising is common with PRP injections and may last up to 5-7 days after treatment.
You also want to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for 2 weeks. After 24 hours, always apply a full-spectrum sunscreen, preferable a mineral-base with SPF 30 and above.
Typically, we recommend a series of 3 treatments 4-6 weeks apart for optimal results. Some patients who have significant laxity of the skin, or pitting acne scarring may choose to do a longer series of treatments. For optimal maintenance, you can choose to have treatments quarterly, biannually, or yearly, depending on your goals.
Many patients begin to see results within the first few days after their initial treatment. Results will continue to become visible over the next nine months as your body’s natural collagen production continues. Full results are usually seen at the nine-month mark. By doing a series of treatments, you are able to achieve a cumulative production of collagen and elastin.
Healthy individuals who are looking to reduce the appearance of mild to moderate fine lines, wrinkles, acne scarring, hyperpigmentation, and other skin imperfections may be great candidates for microneedling with PRP. The following individuals are not good candidates for PRP:
- Individuals with a history of heavy smoking, drug or alcohol use
- Individuals with platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenias, hypofibrinogenaemia, chronic liver disease, anticoagulation therapy
- Individuals with other disorders affecting blood and circulatory system; such as hemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute and Chronic Infections.
- Individuals with chronic skin diseases or cancer, metabolic and systemic disorders
- Moisturize regularly, avoid exposure to the sun, and wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher
- Stop smoking for at least 6 weeks prior, to encourage better healing
- Avoid Aspirin and other medication or herbal supplements that encourage bleeding
- Do not use Retin-A or other skin creams that affect skin sensitivity
- Let us know if you are taking antibiotics as some increase skin sensitivity
- If you have been diagnosed with the herpes virus, you may want to take antiviral medication to reduce the chance of an outbreak on the day of the procedure
- No matter what procedure is performed, hydration is very important, both before and afterward.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil for 1 week after the procedure. You can use Tylenol for soreness.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure for 2 weeks. After 24 hours, always use a full-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher.
- Wash your face lightly with a gentle cleanser, using cool water, using your hands only and pat dry 24 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid strenuous exercises that cause sweating, jacuzzi, sauna, or steam baths for 24 hours due to open channels in the skin, or 48 hours if inflammation exists.
- Avoid applying makeup for 48 hours.
- You may restart your regular skincare products and Retin-A once your skin is no longer irritated.
Micro-needling is a popular choice for patients who want to achieve smoother, softer skin without the downtime of Fractional Co2 laser. When performed with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), this type of treatment is enhanced by delivering your own blood-derived growth factors for healthy cell production, an increase in collagen production and repair of damaged tissues.
More and more, people are looking for ways to keep their skin looking young and healthy. One of the most popular ways to achieve this is through micro-needling with platelet-rich plasma (PRP). Call us at RevivaMed (619) 232-3040 to set up your complimentary consultation.